I have posted about Washington Park before (https://lovelivingincolorado.wordpress.com/2012/03/04/washington-park/) but I feel that I need to post about it again because the weather has been so beautiful in Colorado. I took the pictures in this post yesterday, May 2, 2012. I had a feeling there would be goslings, after all it is spring!
When you visit a city I realize that visiting a park is probably not on the “to do” list. But, if you are visiting Colorado, live in Colorado or live anywhere around Denver, Washington Park is worth a visit.
My top 10 reasons Washington Park is worth a visit:
1. Springtime–please see pictures of the baby goslings and I think I will have you convinced.
2. Great walking, biking, jogging, rollerblading, roller skating, skate boarding, or anything else you can imagine on paved and unpaved surfaces. This website gives actual mileage around the paths–http://www.denvergov.org/parksandrecreation/Parks/WalkingandJoggingTrails/tabid/432299/Default.aspx
3. The park has a recreation center, flower beds, picnic shelter, benches, drinking fountains, grills, picnic tables, playgrounds, lakes, fishing, paddle boat rentals, restrooms, tennis courts, basketball courts, horseshoe pits, and lawn bowling.
4. Dog friendly. The Furry Scurry is held at Washington Park–(two-mile walk for animals in Washington Park at 9 a.m. on Saturday, May 5, 2012 benefiting the Dumb Friends League. This fundraiser helps care for as many as 24,000 homeless pets every year and provide valuable services to our community).http://support.ddfl.org/site/TR?fr_id=1170&pg=entry
5. Winter. Actually any season, but in winter–you will have the park all to yourself if it is snowing. Believe me. I have walked around the perimeter of the park in the snow and saw no one!
6. Acres of green, lush lawn.
7. You can see the Rocky Mountains from different parts of the park.
8. Lots of different water sources.
9. Washington Park Boathouse–https://lovelivingincolorado.wordpress.com/2012/04/16/doors-open-denver/
10. Did I mention goslings?