When we moved to Colorado we knew Colorado was home to the Rocky Mountains. However, we didn’t realize that Colorado is home to over 50 cloud scrapers or peaks that are above 14,000 feet. This website (http://www.14ers.com/) gives a lot of information about the 14ers.
Mt. Elbert is the highest mountain in Colorado at 14,433 feet.
Hiking the 14ers is very popular in Colorado. There are lots of websites that help prepare you for the climb. Before hiking one of the 14ers it is best to do your homework (http://www.14ers.com/safety.php). The elevation of the 14ers is no joking matter and it is better to be prepared.
Does anyone know exactly how many 14ers are in Colorado? I know it sounds strange to ask this but as I was gathering information for this post I read varying numbers.
- I bought a postcard from the Garden of the Gods gift shop and it has 56 peaks listed.
- On this website http://www.14ers.com/ I counted 58 peaks.
- The 14ers.com site also has the peaks listed here http://www.14ers.com/photos/photos_14ers1.php and the number is 53.
- On Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Colorado_fourteeners it says there are 53 peaks.
- Colorado’s Fourteeners Initiative http://www.14ers.org/who-we-are/our-mission/ states there are 54 peaks.
Can someone please help clear up my confusion?